There’s only one way to celebrate National Banana Cream Pie Day…make an Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie! Pile on the fun by asking a Seniors Helping Seniors® caregiver to act as your or your senior loved one’s pastry sous chef and whip up this tasty and traditional treat!
1 9-in. pie crust, baked
3 cups of whole milk
¾ cup of white sugar
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp of salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tbsp of butter
1 tsp of vanilla
Nilla Wafer cookies (optional)
- Scald the milk in a large saucepan.
- In a separate saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in scalded milk.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes longer, mixing occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the 3 slightly beaten egg yolks and a small amount of the hot scalded milk mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add egg yolks to the rest of the scalded milk mixture.
- Cook for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Let sit until the filling is lukewarm.
- When ready to pour, slice bananas and sprinkle them around the prepared pie crust. Pour warm filling mixture over the bananas.
- Let the pie cool until serving. If desired, make a meringue with the leftover egg whites to top the pie. Top with crushed Nilla Wafers and enjoy!