According to the AARP, three out of five people 50-plus surveyed said they anticipate traveling in 2023. Most seniors prefer to travel with loved ones and families versus traveling solo. As the summer travel season kicks off, it is essential for loved ones to prepare for traveling with their seniors to ensure that their seniors are safe and ready for travel.
Whether summer travel plans for seniors include a long car ride or a flight to another destination, there are practical ways that loved ones can help their seniors have a great travel experience:
- Find senior-friendly travel activities and discounts.
- Buy travel insurance.
- Keep medications and snacks handy.
- Know what to expect on your trip and have travel plans laid out.
- Make stops or stand up and stretch often.
- Think about their safety, security, and comfort.
- Arrange elderly accommodations from the airline, train station, hotel, etc.
As the world is returning to more normal levels of travel post-COVID, it is even more critical now for loved ones and seniors to plan and prepare for their summer travels together.
Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home care provides a variety of services to support seniors so that they can maintain their independence and enjoy life not just in their homes, but also in their neighborhoods. These services include companionship, light housekeeping, cooking, and shopping support, assistance with personal care, dementia care, pet care, yard work, and medication reminders.