Red velvet cupcakes are an easy and effortlessly rich treat for the Valentine season! Here's a recipe we recommend to cater to your sweet tooth!
1 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tsp. of cocoa powder
1 tsp. of baking powder
1/4 tsp. of baking soda
1 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. of kosher salt
3/4 cup of buttermilk
3/4 cup unsalted butter, warmed to room temperature
2 tbsp. of pure vanilla extract
Red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
3 sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
16 oz. of cream cheese, warmed to room temperature
1 ½ lb, of sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
A pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix and whisk together all dry cupcake ingredients.
- Cut the stick of room temp butter into pieces then disperse evenly into the dry mixture to mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vanilla, eggs, and red food coloring.
- Slowly add this mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix until combined.
- Distribute the cupcake batter evenly into pan papers.
- Bake at 350° F for approx. 15-20 minutes. Let cool on the baking rack.
Now time to make your frosting!
- Start by creaming your butter while sifting the confectioner's sugar into a large bowl.
- Add cream cheese to the creamed butter along with vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Beat this all together.
- Then add the confectioners’ sugar one cup at a time until all is combined. (Add more confectioners’ sugar if you desire a thicker frosting)
- Transfer buttercream into a piping bag (or a plastic zip lock bag with bottom corner cut off) and top dollops on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Feel free to add sprinkles, heart candies, or crumbled cupcake on frosting to dress your dessert!