Tacos are a quick and easy meal to make with friends, family, or a caregiver any day of the week, but especially on Taco Tuesday! Try this recipe from Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home care services for a tasty, healthy dinner.
- 1 lb. large shrimp (fresh or frozen and thawed), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 to 8 corn or flour tortillas
Slaw & Shrimp Taco Sauce:
- 1 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ jalapeno (optional)
- ¼ c. tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 c. shredded cabbage or slaw mix
- Rinse shrimp, pat dry, and transfer to large mixing bowl. Drizzle with ½ tablespoon olive oil and add chili powder, chipotle chili, cumin, and salt. Use more or less seasoning, depending on preferences. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by adding Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, lime zest, and lime juice to a food processor. Mix until smooth and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Add cabbage or slaw mix to a bowl with ½ the prepared sauce. Stir well to coat.
- Heat the remaining ½ tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook approximately 4 minutes, or until shrimp is no longer translucent inside. Transfer to a plate immediately.
- Warm the tortillas (optional) in the microwave by covering them with a slightly damp paper towel for about 30 seconds.
- Stuff tortillas with shrimp and slaw, add any additional garnishes (mango salsa, Pico de Gallo, avocados, etc.) and ENJOY!