Few things are better on a chilly fall night than a healthy, hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup! For a delicious and veggie-packed twist, try this recipe from Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home care services:
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp. dried oregano and/or thyme, divided
1 ¼ tsp. salt, divided
¾ tsp. ground pepper, divided
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
2/3 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
4 cups chopped kale
1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped chicken and sprinkle with ½ tsp. each oregano/thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook chicken until lightly browned (3 – 5 min), then transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil, onions, carrots, and celery in the pot. Cook until vegetables are soft and lightly browned (3 – 5 min).
- Add garlic, bay leaf, and remaining ½ tsp. oregano/thyme. Cook, stirring until fragrant (30 – 60 sec).
- Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add orzo. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 min.
- Add kale and chicken. Continue cooking until the orzo is tender and the chicken is cooked through (5 – 8 min).
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and remaining ¾ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Serve with a crusty slice of bread and enjoy in good company!