At Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home care services, we feel November is a great time to take a personal inventory on all the meaningful aspects of your life – health, family, friendships, accomplishments, independence, etc. After all, thankfulness is the hallmark of this month! As we celebrate a season of gathering and companionship, what better way to document our appreciation of the good things than creating a gratitude journal?
What Is Gratitude?
It’s only human nature to get mired in the weekly bustle, overlooking the important sparks of beauty that make our days so rich. A gratitude journal is as much a routine as it is a document. Keeping this book of thanks nearby reminds us to pause and jot down the bright spots in our journeys! At the same time, the act of writing positive thoughts helps memory and encourages calm.
It’s easy to get started!
- Grab a notebook or traditional journal.
- Find and write a weekly quote that inspires you. For instance: “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Each day, document one good thing that happened to you and one aspect of your life you love.
- Don’t hesitate to revisit past pages, reading about the grateful moments that you experienced.
- Repeat this routine every week.
Other Ideas For Vibrant Entries
Remember, this is your journal! There are no rules, other than using them to reflect on the positives. Our Seniors Helping Seniors® caregivers have even discovered some wonderful writing exercises to enhance the experience.
- Pick A Photo: Pictures are the ultimate keepsake and a wonderful way to rekindle memories. Select one of your favorite snapshots and place it at the top of the journal page. Next, write about the people in it: Why you love them, why you are thankful for them, how you felt in that moment, etc.
- Hit The Magazine Racks: Find a feel-good story and write your thoughts about the article.
- Think Ahead: Look to future plans that excite you, then write about them. It can be an upcoming trip or a visit with friends. Again, it doesn’t have to be an elaborate adventure. Sometimes a routine card game with your Seniors Helping Seniors® caregiver brings all the joy needed for a journal entry! Just have fun wondering what tomorrow holds.
Regardless of how you craft your gratitude journal, your team at Seniors Helping Seniors® in-home care services hopes it takes you to a wonderful, reflective place!
Our helpers are available any day, any hour of the week. We can help each person stay independent and stay at home by providing essential services.
Visit our website to learn more: www.seniorcarechicagometro.com or call or text us at 312-526-3666.