A delicious holiday staple, learning to make good eggnog is sure to impress, in addition to leaving your tastebuds dancing. Grab your Seniors Helping Seniors® caregiver for an extra hand and give this recipe a try:
4 cups milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
5 whole cloves
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
12 large egg yolks
1 ½ cups white sugar
4 cups light cream
2 ½ cups light rum (optional)
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, cinnamon, ½ tsp. vanilla, and cloves in a saucepan and warm over the lowest heat setting. Stir and heat for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-low and slowly bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks until light yellow in color. Add sugar and continue whisking until light and fluffy.
- Pour a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking quickly to keep from scrambling the eggs. Continue this process until all the milk is incorporated.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until thick. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Strain mixture to remove the cloves and let cool for 1 hour.
- Stir in cream, rum (if desired), remaining 2 tsp. vanilla, and nutmeg. Let cool 8 hours to overnight before serving.